Parent University Schedule March 7, 2018
5:30 – 5:55pm School Tours
Take a school tour with an EWHS student. Do you feel like EWHS is a bit of a mystery, do you get lost every time you go inside. Come take a tour and discover the things you need to know. Meet in the Cafe.
6:00 – 6:45pm Welcome – Great Hall
6:50 – 7:30pm Break out Sessions:
- Making the Transition to High School: Angelia Nivens, EWHS Counseling Dept.; What might help make the leap to high school easier? Ms. Nivens will give helpful tips and answer questions to help make a smooth transition.
- Career Programs in the Edmonds School District: Evan Hatch, EWHS Counseling Dept.; This session will discuss off-campus complimentary programs to high school – Running Start, Sno-Isle, Intra-District Courses and E-learning. Discover how your student can expand and enrich their high school experience through these alternative programs.
- Education Technology and Your Student: Understanding Chromebooks, Skyward, Google Docs and more: There are a lot of technology platforms being used at the high school, come and discover how to navigate and help your student use the different systems
- How to help your student “Do School”: Rebecca Brannon, EWHS Counseling Dept.; How can you help your student be successful in high school? What do good study skills look like? What help is available when struggling? (Grad Req’s; Study Skills) – Rebecca Brennan
- School Navigation for Immigrant Families: Resources and help for successfully navigating the school system.
7:30-7:40pm Intermission/Informational Tables-Cafe
- Q&A – Counseling Department
- Skyward Access – Help with accessing account, etc.
- Athletic Booster Club
- Music Boosters
- Parent Staff Organization
7:45-8:30pm Great Hall
Helping Teens Manage Stress and Anxiety – Kara Kay: The teenage years can be a stressful time for teens and their families. Pressure for academic success, planning for the future, and changing social expectations can put increased pressure on students. Finding strategies to identify and cope with stressors will be addressed.