Parent University – March 7, 2019
5:30 – 5:55pm – School Tours – meet in cafe
- Take a tour of the high school – especially helpful for incoming families to familiarize yourself with the layout of the school and where attendance and main office are located.
6:00 – 6:45pm Welcome – Great Hall
What’s Going on in my Teen’s Brain? Cocoon House – Do you feel like your teen is…ignoring you, doing exactly what you have asked them not to do, unconcerned for her future or the consequences of her actions? Guess what? Your teen isn’t necessarily doing any of this on purpose. The discussion will focus on research explaining teen brain development. Parents will learn what they can reasonably expect their teen to comprehend with tips devoted to increasing the brain capacity necessary to master the developmental challenges of adolescence.
6:50 – 7:30pm Break out Sessions:
- Making the Transition to High School: Jillian Wellington, EWHS Counseling Dept.; What can parents do to make the leap to high school easier? Ms. Wellington will give helpful tips and answer questions to help make a smooth transition.
- Career Programs in the Edmonds School District: Rebecca Brennan, EWHS Counseling Dept.; This session will discuss the off-campus complimentary programs to high school – Running Start. Discover how your student can expand and enrich their high school experience through this program.
- Education Technology and Your Student: Understanding Chromebooks, Skyward, Google Docs and more: There are a lot of technology platforms being used at the high school, come and discover how to navigate and help your student use the different systems
- How to help your student “Do School”: Evan Hatch, EWHS Counseling Dept.; How can you help your student be successful in high school? What do good study skills look like? What help is available when struggling? (Grad Req’s; Study Skills)
7:30-7:40pm Intermission/Informational Tables-Cafe
- Q&A – Counseling Department
- Skyward Access – Help with accessing account, etc.
- Athletic Booster Club
- Music Boosters
- Parent Staff Organization
7:45-8:30pm Great Hall
Parent’s Guide to Teen Depression, Cocoon House: Review the difference between depression as an emotion and as a clinical diagnosis. Explore the behavioral signs to look for in teens suffering from depression. Also, look at the myths and the facts of depression and different treatment options. Direction on how to find treatment will be provided.