The EWHS PSO and the Princeton Review offer the full-length SAT and ACT practice exams several times a year. These tests are an opportunity for students to gain experience taking the test, determine which test they may perform best on, and discover their strengths and weaknesses. The SAT and ACT are an important part of your student’s college application, the practice tests can be a helpful tool in improving their performance on these tests. All students, regardless of grade, are welcome to take any of the tests offered.
With the help of the Career Center, we have developed a schedule of tests for the upcoming school year. Although any student can take the test, we have set the schedule with juniors in mind. Juniors should consider taking the official test no later than spring of their junior year. If needed, they can take the official test once more in summer or early fall of their senior year. This timing allows students to have an idea what their test score is and if needed, spend some time over the summer studying to retake the exam. In addition, it allows students to see their score and determine what colleges they should be considering or eliminating from their application pool. Many years ago the ACT and SAT were somewhat regional, with different regions or colleges preferring one test over the other for admissions. That is no longer the case and both tests are accepted at all colleges.
We will be offering two tests over the course of the year – the full-length SAT and ACT.
- SAT – The SAT was recently revised. In March 2016, the old SAT was replaced and the practice test your student takes will be the new revised test. The new SAT is very similar to the ACT but does contain more math. Sections include: Evidence based reading and writing, math and essay* (optional).
- ACT – The ACT includes sections on english, math, reading, science and essay* (optional).
*Some schools may require the essay, so it is recommended that all students take the essay portion of the test. Choosing to not complete the essay portion could limit your options when applying to colleges. The essay portion does not factor into your composite score.
Proposed test dates for 2017-18 school year:
- ACT/SAT Practice test – September 24, 2016
- StartUp Practice test – November 12, 2016
- ACT/SAT Practice test – February 25, 2017